Monday, November 5, 2018

Week 12 Reading: Grimm (Librivox) Part A

Week 12 Reading

Grimm (Librivox) Part A



I was thrilled to learn we had the option to skip over to European stories during these weeks! It's sad that we're getting close and close to being done here, and I'd love to go back and read all the stories, but Grimm Fairytales were specific to my inspiration in my project so, I thought it would be appropriate to jump on the opportunity to do complete readings on them. I want to do another Brother's Grimm story for next week as well, but for now, we'll go with the Librivox one! I plan to read Crane for next week, and I might as use these endings to help influence how I end my story for the class project. I loved the snippets of dialogue they used to cut throw the narrations of the story. It was light and whimsical, so you felt the vibe of a fairytale. I love that because these are similar to the Disney related tales that children grow up to know, I think the dramatic endings and twists give more emotion and depth to the passages. Don't get me wrong, not all of these accounts have sad endings. Most of them actually have decent ends with maybe a few traumatic consequences scatter throughout the work.  I know that the word "grim" can create this complex of thinking that the stories will end in death, sadness, maybe the villain getting what they want. That isn't necessarily the case for these stories. They can have excellent alternatives, but the way they decide to get there makes these fairytales, not as child-friendly or seem delicate anymore. That's my favorite part of these types of tales and what I want to take away to use in my endings for my project this semester.


Image: Grimm Fairytale (Wikimedia Commons)
Bibliography:  Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm (Un-Textbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...