Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Week 12 Reading: Grimm (Librivox) Part B

Week 12 Reading:

Grimm (Librivox) Part B



For the second half of the reading, I continued to listen to the Librivox Grim Fairytales and came to a sad conclusion about myself. Something that I realized I love in a story, specifically a fairytale, is when those of good heart and intention prosper. If the lovely individuals are given their deserved opportunities, then it only makes sense that the villainous characters are given what they deserve. At least to me, this is how I feel the story should go. Outside of my opinion, most of the scripts in this second half had a good ending for everyone character. It felt as though they took one instance to provide a consequence that someone could learn from, then instantly made everything better. The meaning behind rewarding those who treat others with love and respect gets diminished a little bit by this for me. With that, I'd change the writing style to put more emphasis on the downfall of the characters who have poor intentions from the start or just rude behaviors drawn to life. The endings over the second half were also very abrupt to me. There was an ascend in the plot that put grand emphasis on the "final task" that most protagonists in these stories endured; it was sad to see their success feel lack-luster because there would be a summation of the aftermath and every character was given a happy ending. I think if they added more of a brooding opening as well, it would emphasize the harsh reality of the cruel intentions of man that they like to touch on in these works. I do like the method of task creation that each story uses though. The adventure is the best part of these tales, and it really paints a picture to follow as you read or listen through.


Image: Grimm Illustration (Wikimedia Commons)
Bibliography:  Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm (Un-Textbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...