Saturday, August 18, 2018

Storybook Favorites - Let's Spark Some Inspiration

Storybook Favorites

The Three That Start it All


This post will serve as my starting point to construct my own story for my Myth-Folklore class this semester. Scrolling through all of the options I had to gain some inspiration really got me stuck between three different themes I believe I'm interested in taking on. I've always been fascinated by mystery tales that keep the reader on their toes. It's the type of story that keeps you up at night because you just can't stop thinking about the final outcome. The second thing I've been very into reading are choose your own adventure just because no experience is ever the same.  What you want to happen in the story is also the exact direction they take, even if it doesn't mean the best outcome.🤣 It's still a fun journey though! The last thing I'm tempted to write about is a play on a song of sort. I would like to think I'm as passionate about music as any other millennial and love to do a play on words with pretty much anything. The challenge in taking a classic and morphing it into something like saga makes my creative juices jump for excitement.

With that being said, here are the three stories that fit into those realms of possibility. All of which has some pros and cons but overall wonderful concepts to my interest.


Tokyo Underworld

(Tokyo Underworld: Pixlr Images)
Tokyo Underworld is a story written by a previous student of the Myth-Folklore course that takes you through a 'whodonit' sort of murder scenario. As the reader, you are given different sections of facts as the story progresses and the characters unfold; having the opportunity to make a choice as to who you suspect to be the murder. This story doesn't do great at giving an introduction to what the story will entail; however, it does have a beautiful layout and keep the vibe of mysterious and a little creepy.






Dungeons and Decisions

Dungeons and Decisions is just like it sounds, you make the decisions in your story in order to make it to your own ending. It keeps the thrill alive because you try to pick up every detail in order to make the best choice you believe will help you get the best conclusion. I loved the introduction of this just because it gave a lot of instruction, reference information as to how this idea because his story, and where to start. The layout is a bit simple for the type of story it is, but it definitely seems captivating.
            (Dragon from Trine 2: Wikimedia Commons)


LSD in a Yellow Submarine

LSD in a Yellow Submarine is just such a funny concept to me. I love the Beatles and I love that because it was related to the music, it put me in the same dazed and pleasant mood that the song usually does. I think I'd take a slight different direction than this poster did in order to get what I want out of using song inspiration, but I'm still enjoying this content for sure.











(Yellow Submarine: Deviant Art)

3 comments:

  1. Working with music is GREAT, Jasmine! If you write a song to go with a story that uses the tune of an existing song, you can often find karaoke videos at YouTube which means people could sing along. So if you wrote new lyrics for Never Give You Up, just as an example (a story about Rickrolling, ha ha), you could use a video like this to include the music in a page... and people could sing along with YOUR lyrics :-) Never Gonna Give You Up Karaoke

    And I am so glad you looked at Dungeons and Decisions; that was a really cool project that is new to the archive -- it's from last semester. The student wrote that using Twine, which is storytelling software you can use if you activate your webspace at OUCreate. Here's more about Twine: there is so much you can do with this if you want to give it a try! Twine is an open-source tool for telling interactive, nonlinear stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what web resourse was used in order to make that story. The formating is just amazing to me and I’m pretty much leaning toward working out a story by the end of the class similar to that fashion. Thank you for the links! I’ll be sure to look into that source tool and give you updates about how it’s working for me c:

      Delete
    2. It's Twine (which I linked to there in that other comment), which is a software program that creates HTML files that you would then put in your own webspace at OUCreate. I think Oliver wrote up a step by step guide for how he did his pages, and we have two serious Twine experts on campus in the Digital Learning Office who can also help; one of them, Keegan Long-Wheeler, has written some tutorials also. I'm guessing others will be interested in this, so I will collect that make it available as a Tech Tip series for people who want to try it. Hopefully I can find time to do that this week, and then people can even use it for storytelling as an experiment in Week 2 if they want. I'm a total believer in experiments! :-)

      Delete

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...