Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Reading Notes: Myth-Folklore Anthology

Reading Notes B:

Starting to Read Like a Writer


So going through the stories that were up for reading on the Myth-Folklore Anthology, I did like a majority of the stories I was reading. Some of them stood out to me more than others though due to their writing style and formatting. I had a hard time following some stories over other just based on how the progression was lain out going into different story “scenes.” For example, looking into The Divine (Romance of Old Japan, Part 1: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917)) and The Supernatural (Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913)) were harder for me due to the reading style. It felt as though there was no real flow into what I was reading so I always felt like I was missing a chunk of information. The level of detail they brought out for each of the character however was something that really inspired me. I love when there’s so much description behind a location, character, or object in a story that it becomes a visual in your head so clearly. I want to at least be able to take that level of commitment for my future writing and help bring the story more to life. All the other stories posted had a great format that made it easy to see a separation based on dialogue, character entrance, plot development, and more even though they are short stories.

(Character Development: Pintrest.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...