Saturday, October 27, 2018

Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales Part A

Reading Notes:

American Indian Fairy Tales Part A



Transitioning into the second week of reading this unit, it was a crazy transition for me. The first story unit I read was a tad more brutal in nature for each character whereas this story is a lot more focused on love and rewarding the good. I can see why this is titled a "fairy tale" story genre just from the feel good nature in the actions of the characters, as well as the happy endings each story possessed. Something really cool about this unit of the reading was that it built off the first story that gave information about a storyteller. Then it was that storyteller to continue to tell the rest of the stories throughout the unit. The also kept the storyteller's introduction the shortest story but also the longest story. It's like it completely engulfs the other ones in the first section because the storyteller from story one is the one telling the other stories so it's like a continuation of his story, just with different content. They also set up the stories well to appeal to youthful individuals who want a happy ending and continue to follow the arc of a nice, down-to-earth character lead. You feel so wholesome after reading or listening to some of these tales and it's a sweet way to warm your heart, as opposed to the other stories I read that kinda left me to feel a bit of discomfort and shock at some points. As much as I pride myself of appreciating twists and creepy factors of stories, I wasn't expecting that from the one I read prior so it caught me off guard. It also seemed to play off so "innocently" and casual which also threw me for a loop. This unit was a nice transition from the casual brutality to mystic romance and devotion.

Image: Storyteller (Wikimedia Commons)
Bibliography:  American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (Un-Textbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...