Saturday, October 27, 2018

Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales Part B

Reading Notes:

American Indian Fairy Tales Part B




The second half of the reading for this unit was filled nicely by cute stories of a moral reason to teach the children being spoken too. I get a very nostalgic feeling of an elderly family member spreading their wisdom to their grandchildren from this section more so than the previous one. I think it's really cool that each ending word of the story sentences left you hanging on each. The adverb choices and the adjective choices were well done in my opinion. It's clear that these stories are aimed towards children, and there's no overly complicated idea that you need to get and each word has a certain amount of power that even children can grasp the importance of. You want to go ahead and skip over the other words just to get to the point because you're excited to figure out what's going to happen next! I decided to listen to an audiobook version of these stories and I felt like I was a kid again; wanting to cheer for the characters or feeling like I could be more expressive with my reactions and interjections. Something I wish I got to take from this story to further develop my story on my project would be to bring animal creatures to life and really build out a story path like this. The stories are pretty long since they are multiple pages but the actual stories go by pretty quickly as well, and I'm not sure I could be this creative with my writing. I would love to take this into consideration for the ending of my tale though! I want to be able to make enticing imagery based on my word choice, while also not being too over the top or hard to understand. Overall this was a fun read!


Image: Sunset (Wikipedia)
Bibliography:  American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (Un-Textbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...