Monday, September 3, 2018

Feedback Strategies

Feedback Strategies


After reading about how to accept feedback last week, it helps to see that a majority of the feedback in this course is from peer reviews. That being said, I should probably get better at providing feedback to others as well as how I receive it. After reading Six Tips for Providing Constructive Feedback and The Difference Between Praise and Feedback, I feel a bit more confident in my ability to give feedback. My fear is that I don't want to hurt someone or cause them to lose their creativity because it feels like it's been challenged or judged. Good feedback is feedback that you can tell is given because that individual wants to help better you and place you in the right direction. Strategies that I liked after reading the suggested methods from last semester were the ones that involve asking questions and providing suggestive solutions to those questions. I like having the options to provide feedback and then give examples as to what I mean because then it shows that I'm trying to help enhance the work that is already up and open to the public. I also really like reaching and looking at things that may not confuse me at the moment but could potentially confuse others without any context of the situation or the meaning of some words. Feedback should be seen as a positive but not strictly as praise because then the writer is less likely to put in more effort to create an even better version of their story than they currently have. 


Image: I have not failed quote from Edison (Garydhenderson.com)

1 comment:

  1. I was so shy with giving feedback when I started this course. What if I said something that discouraged someone? What if my take was completely different than the author's intent?

    I figured out, much like you, that simply asking questions and using the "What if?" technique worked best to let me critique story elements without coming across as rude/negative/overly critical. The best feedback I've received almost always identifies an area or element I didn't consider at all, and usually includes a potential solution.

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...