Sunday, September 30, 2018

Reading Notes: Ozaki Part B

Reading Notes

Ozaki Part B

For the second half of the reading from the Ozaki Unit, the stories were more my style. You had more elements of the fairytale by adding in the different characters and scene depictions that I want to incorporate into my story. First off? The writing in all stories starts off with a sentence that screams fairytale being that it was ages and ages ago from the current time you’re hearing about it. When it’s given a timeframe like that, it also feels quite mystic and ominous to me as well. It’s hard to explain, but when I read it, I’m given a sense of mystery because it happened so long ago and it was such a tremendous experience we get to hear it as a story. Something else I love about these fairytales is that they add moral value. The Japanese are always great at showing their customs and religious practices within their storytelling regardless of how whimsical and unreal the story may be. Most Asian culture is the same actually and with a traditional standpoint over a modern twist back to “olden” time, I’m more drawn to the lore and the magic and the framework as a whole. I also liked that it recounts every detail, regardless of how small. From the movements of the characters to the motions of wildlife, even the weather. I was sad at first when reading Ozaki and feared that I would not get back into any excitement as I moved forward. The second half really saved this story chapter for me. So hopefully at the end of my story project for the semester, each reader will fill the same way of moral understanding and traditional practices that these stories did for me.

Image: A Demon (Wikipedia)
Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...