Sunday, September 9, 2018

Reading Notes: Ovid’s Metamorphoses Part B

Reading Notes
Part B of Ovid’s Metamorphoses

While reading the second half of Tony Kline’s translation, it was a much easier read than the earlier sections. The stories seemed to flow better based on the mannerisms of Roman Gods and mythological storytelling. I loved that they took the time in each story to have an introduction stage that leads to the main point of the story so that there isn’t any confusion. During the first half of the reading, I was all over the place trying to figure out how things were happening the way they were just because I felt like the intro didn’t have much dynamic. Like it was solely focused on the mortality or immortality of the focal character in question. I think that I’m just a reader that likes to have a much detail at the beginning as possible in order to avoid any future confusion or frustrations when new things get brought in. I love to know the ins and outs of the characters until I’m meant to follow along with the supporting cast in a story who are unaware of something. 


Something else I really enjoyed is how the dialogue was produced for each character based on their mortal status, situation, and time frame. There was a great expression of anguish and defeat but also lust and yearning coming from Narcissus in his story; there were shock and remorse but frustration and anger in Thisbe for her arc. These stories weren’t as long as the early half of the readings but they gave me more feeling than the others previous. How they managed to fit all of that into such short descriptions to continue to flesh out the actual story was phenomenal. I really appreciated the character writing this time around! So I think my main issue just has to be with the development of the story from the start and how the ending is produced. Which are both things that can be altered to provide more information and maybe even enhance the story or character feats within!

Image: Medusa Sculpture (Wikipedia)
Bibliography: Ovid's Metamorphoses translated by Tony Kline (Un-Textbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe

Week 13 Story: The Princess and the Robe Author's Note: I decided to write my story over The Princess and the Pea , which is abou...